Handling for starters.
Updated: Feb 4
Trying to figure out and understand the dog-show world language? Do not worry! Here at Legado Danes we have your back!
The first step is to find a show in an area close to you. You can find information on different websites such as AKC, Infodog, or UKC and International (IABCA) shows. All these links can be found in our "links" tab on our Legado Danes website.
Once you have found a show you may be interested in fill out the form and sign up for the days you would like to enter. ALWAYS make sure you enter the correct class and double check the information entered to confirm it all matches and to prevent yourself to get a DQ. Ask somebody you know has experience or find a mentor you can rely on that may guide you through the process. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a message or contact us and we will gladly assist you with any issues you may have. (For a list of available mentors please visit the AKC website). Most conformation shows close two weeks previous to the show day.
Once you are entered prepare with some simple basics:
- The correct way to put on a leash.
- What to/not to bring to the show site.
- Do you need a grooming area or crating site?
- In case you've decided to handle your own dog keep in mind the proper clothing to wear (Lift your hands up high, if anything shows then go change. Touch your toes with your fingers, if anything shows then go change)
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- If you decide to use or hire a handler then make sure they have space to take your dog ringside and that they do not have other priorities.
- Most importantly... Have fun!! Enjoy it and show off your beautiful puppy.
The day of the show make sure your puppy is pottied and that you have checked ring times. Always be there and ready to go at least 30 minutes early to make sure you check on your ring time and that your armband is entered in the correct class.
If grooming is necessary, make sure you are at the site at least 2 hours previous to the show.
You will hear a lot of the following lingo: Winners dog(WD), Winners bitch (WB) (Yes, it is allowed to say bitch at the shows), Best of Breed(BOB), Best of Opposite(BOS), Best of winners(BOW), Select dog/bitch(SEL Dog, SEL Bitch), Reserve winners (RWD/RWB)
How does the point System work? Do not forget to read our blog next week with the point system explanation for the big three kennel shows competitions (AKC, UKC, IABCA)